The BVCA has kicked off its awards season by naming the winners of the South East Management Team Awards 2019.
These awards, produced in association with Grant Thornton UK LLP, are our annual showcase for the best businesses in the UK backed by private equity and venture capital. Taking place throughout the year and across the country, last night saw the South East winners revealed at the BVCA’s Chair’s Dinner in London.
The full list of winners for the BVCA South East Management Team Awards 2019:
|Large Company Management Team*
|Mid-Market Management Team
|Growth Management Team
|Venture-backed Management Team
|Rayner Surgical Group
|Phoenix Equity Partners
|Business Transformation Management Team
* Special acknowledgement for Large Company Management Team: Civica, backed by Partners Group
All five winners will now go forward to the national final to compete with the winners of our other regional finals, with the national champions to be presented with their awards at the BVCA Gala Dinner at the end of the year.
South East winners
Large Company Management Team
Backed by 3i
Based in Hailsham, East Sussex, Aspen Pumps designs, manufactures and distributes specialised mini pumps that remove condensate water from air conditioning and refrigeration systems.
Judges’ comments: “Adrian Thompson is leading a company that has remained simple and pragmatic, whilst expanding both locally and internationally. He and his team are driving a new phase of growth and are looking to expand into new territories having already, and impressively, established themselves in the US market.”
Large Company Management Team – special acknowledgement
Backed by Partners Group
Headquartered in London, Civica provides business-critical software, digital solutions and technology-based outsourcing services.
Judges’ comments: “Despite operating in a challenging sector, Simon Downing and his team have sustained above-market performance through the successful execution of a clear growth strategy. Civica’s ability to continue to grow and deliver value through its various different private equity buyouts, as well as an IPO and a public-to-private buyout, is particularly impressive.”
Mid-Market Management Team
Backed by Livingbridge
From its head office in Dummer, Hampshire, Southern Communications provides SMEs across the UK with a range of services including fixed-line, data, mobile and cloud-based services alongside sale, installation and maintenance of telephone systems.
Judges’ comments: “When Southern Communications first came to market, Paul Bradford and his dynamic management team already had a clear objective of what they wanted to achieve and they have executed their plan fantastically. Their EBITDA growth is stellar and the long-standing management team are brilliant, loyal to the business, self-sufficient, and have huge levels of ambition.”
Growth Management Team
Backed by Synova Capital
Based in Hemel Hempstead, 4ways is a multi-accredited provider of remote radiology reporting services.
Judges’ comments: “Ajay Chadha and his team have created a radiology reporting service that places clinical excellence first. There has been a strong focus on creating a good and collaborative senior management team and this has led to remarkable returns for their investors. 4ways Healthcare is continuing to go from strength to strength, with ambitions to expand into new territories.”
Venture-backed Management Team
Backed by Albion VC
Egress, headquartered in London, specialises in data security, helping people receive, manage, and share information securely without friction.
Judges’ comments “Tony Pepper and Neil Larkins built Egress Software Technologies from the ground up and have navigated and grown the business through various stages of investment. There aren’t many UK-based SaaS businesses generating their levels of revenue, and the investment from a US investor, FTV Capital, in December is a great indication of their success and ambition.”
Business Transformation Management Team
Rayner Surgical Group
Backed by Phoenix Equity Partners
From its base in Worthy, West Sussex, Rayner is a developer and manufacturer of ophthalmic implants and pharmaceuticals.
Judges’ comments: “Neils de Coninck Smith and his team set out a clear vision and direction for Rayner that they have executed extremely well. This is reflected in their strong financial performance figures and their phenomenal expansion overseas. Worthy of significant praise is Rayner’s work in the developing world supporting cataract treatment and surgery.”
For further information, please contact
Tom Allchorne, Director, Communications, BVCA
+44 (0)20 7492 0407
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Notes to editor
- The BVCA Management Team Awards, produced in association with Grant Thornton UK LLP, are the only awards to celebrate the achievements of private equity and venture capital-backed management teams. There are eight regions in total, each with their own judging panel, and all winners are automatically forwarded to the national final, the results of which will be presented at the BVCA Annual Gala Dinner at the end of the year in London. Please click here for more information.
- The South East judging panel consists of: Jonathan Lerner (Chair), Smedvig Capital; Marion Bernard, McLarty Capital Partners; Alistair Brew, BGF; Jonathan Caswell, LDC; Siobhan Clarke, Episode 1 Ventures; Andrew Ferguson, Baird Capital; Liz Jones, Livingbridge; Valerie Kendall, WestBridge Capital; Mo Merali, Grant Thornton UK; Andrew Strickland, Palatine Private Equity.
- The British Private Equity & Venture Capital Association (BVCA) is the industry body for the UK private equity and venture capital industry. The BVCA has over 770 member firms, representing the vast majority of UK-based private equity and venture capital firms and their advisers.
- Grant Thornton is one of the world’s leading organisations of independent assurance, tax and advisory firms. These firms help dynamic organisations unlock their potential for growth by providing meaningful, forward-thinking advice. Proactive teams, led by approachable partners in these firms, use insights, experience and instinct to understand complex issues for privately owned, publicly listed and public sector clients and help them to find solutions. More than 35,000 Grant Thornton people, across over 100 countries, are focused on making a difference to clients, colleagues and the communities in which we live and work. The UK Grant Thornton member firm provides services to over 40,000 privately held businesses, public interest entities and individuals. It is led by more than 185 partners and employs more than 4,200 of the profession's brightest minds. Find out more at www.grant-thornton.co.uk